Today we’re sharing our project inspired by the Stencil Poetry theme on StencilGirl ® Blog
. Poetry and art for us always go hand in hand. Many times, we either create an art project and then write about it or vice versa.
We’ve created a mixed media layout and we were inspired by Aditi’s poem ‘Soul-Mending’ from her recent book ‘On The Other Side’. For the project, a newer version of the poem was written and then we created this layout. We’ll share the two poems below as well:)!
Here’s a look at the layout:
Check the post on StencilGirl® Blog for the process.
Here’s the poem and how we were inspired by it.
Soul-Mending Project Version 1.1
Fixing broken pieces of your soul,
is not like joining pieces of a puzzle.
The same pieces that once fit together,
may no longer do so.
Sometimes you need to hurt,
to take it all in.
And, some pieces need to be discarded,
when sifting through them.
Once you’re done hurting,
pick them up piece by piece
and mend your soul.
Sew them and stitch them back again.
The threads you use will remind you,
of how you patched it all together.
It won’t be the same,
The scars will be there,
But you’ll been one again.
We were inspired by the idea of the soul being fragments (our different patterned hexagons) and puzzle pieces. When you mend them, they do leave gaps, and necessarily don’t fit back together. We used thread to stitch them together, with varying patterns as it’s never the same. The Deer spirit reminds us to be gentle and kind with ourselves through this process. The flowers remind us about the idea of blooming and then drying, falling, yet the seeds blossom into a flower again. The colour palette we used- Teal, Greens, Mustard(Gold) all speaks to us of soul renewal, of spring, of fixing.
Here are a few close-ups:
- Lindy’s sprays – Bayou Boogie Gold, Grab a Guy Gold, Golden Sleigh Bells, Time Travel Teal, Lucky Shamrock Green, Cathedral Pines Green
- Art Alchemy Metallique- Gold Amber, Ginger Magic Sparks, Dark Forest
- Art Alchemy Metallique Waxes- Mint Sparkle, Peacock, Firebird
- Dusty Attic and Kora Chipboards
- Fantasy die – FD 779
- Stencil Girl Stencils- L 708 (Mod City Country Abstract by Cynthia Silveri), L 726 (It’s Time to Play by Carolyn Dube), L 712 (Lattice Medallion by Kristie Taylor)., L 698 (Hexagons Mini Printmaking by Ann Butler)
- Flowers, Feathers
- Distress Ink- Fossilised Amber