Today we’re travelling to the continent of Asia as a part of The International Tournament of Art & Craft Challenge 2.
The themes, elements and the board for this challenge are so vibrant and fun to work with. Since we are from India, we thought of showcasing that as a part of Asia in our layout today.
Here’s how we’ve interpreted the challenge:
Our layout is an Indian Wedding Celebration with all the rich and luscious colours- Orange, Magenta, Purple, Fuschia and Gold. Our background consists of a border on the top, all done with stamping and incorporating motifs to represent a traditional Saree border (saree being a traditional Indian attire). We’ve added textures with a mandala stencil and worked our focal picture and layering around that. Our elements include mandalas, flowers, geometric flowers, leaves, and other motifs. We’ve also added some hand shaped flowers and leaves for dimension as well as a realistic touch. For our colours, we’ve played with pigment powders and inks. Our layout not only represents the Saree border, but also a Mantap- which is the auspicious place of a wedding where the couple takes their vows. Hence our elements, further add to the real feel of a Mantap.
- Motifs inspired by mandalas- We’ve used Indian Motifs as well as Mandala motifs in our background as well as layering
- Geometric shapes- We’ve used geometric flowers and leaves in our layering
- Tiles – Ceramic, pantiles, glazed tiles, or their designs- We’ve used the doodling/free flow designs in our background and layering elements
- Asiatic flowers, such as cherry blossom, chrysanthemum, orchids, lotus, Frangipani, lilies, hibiscus etc- We’ve used the Frangipani also known as Plumeria and Lillies in our layering, our background border has the Lotus
- Calligraphy or handwriting- Our title is handwritten
- Fabric, faded or dyed- Not used
- Powdered pigments- We’ve used our pigment powders for colours in our background.We also used them to colour a few layering elements.
Here’s a look at our layout: